Big Data Analytics & Artificial Intelligence will change many industries: it holds the potential to revolutionize manufacturing through big data analytics, AI may facilitate diagnostics in healthcare or make whole cities smarter through optimizing public infrastructure – to name just a few examples. Also Telcos strive to create value for business, individuals and the general public, based on available data.
Call for Innovation #2:
Business Cases leveraging Big Data in Telcos
Are you a startup or innovator that has successfully developed and tested concrete Business Cases based on Telco Data?
Switzerland's leading telco Swisscom is calling for Business Cases that fully comply with European and local data protection laws and that are able to show certain traction (= paying customers) on your market. The selected winners have the chance to start a joint PoC.
Application is open until 9 April 2017.
What we are looking for
While telcos can leverage data in all 4 areas below, we are only searching for business cases related to new and adjacent business in this Call for Innovation.
Please find below a few examples of possible business cases that are within our focus area:
- Optimization of Public Infrastructure to improve user experience and efficiency and avoid congestions
- Optimization of Public Transportation based on movement data from mobile phones
- Business solutions for Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) or E-Commerce services based on anonymized mobility and/or location data
- Fraud Detection for Financial Services
- Location benchmarking for Real-estate or Retail Businesses: Store decisions based on pedestrian frequency and behavior of target audience
- We are looking for applications from all around the world
- Focus is on innovative new business cases with certain traction in a test market
- The business cases should make use of data that is unique to telcos (meaning that you will have to cooperate with telcos for your business model to work)
- We’re mainly targeting startups and small innovators, but are open for others
- You should be able to show a certain traction in a test market (a.k.a. paying or very interested customers, be it enterprises, cities, or tested high value for our private customers or citizens)
- PoC-able solution ready for market tests in our countries
- Your business model and solution is fully compliant with European (GDPR) and local regulations around data protection and telecommunications data.
- If your business model requires permissions (opt-in) from customers, you have found a way to convince them to participate for something in return
We are not looking for generic big data platforms without specific and proven business-cases. In case your platform serves as a basis for various applications, please apply by picking your most promising and proven business case.
Process & Application
Application is open until 9 April 2017.
All applications will be carefully evaluated by experts of all 3 telcos, including an online Q&A session with our shortlisted candidates. The selected finalists will start into a joint PoC scoping phase where we will be discussing the objectives, requirements and modalities of a PoC with each finalist. A PoC in this case will mean a joint market test of your business case in our markets and with our sandboxed telco data.
All finalists will be invited to pitch their business case and the proposed PoC in front of our management jury in order to get green lights for the PoC project as a first step towards future collaboration.
- 27.2.2017: Application opens
- 9.4.2017: Application Deadline
- Evaluation including online Q&A sessions with our shortlisted candidates
- 5.5.2017: Announcement of the finalists by each telco
- Joint PoC scoping with all finalists (online / remote)
- 1.6.2017: Pitching of Business Case and joint PoC in front of the Management Jury in Zurich. Announcement of the Winners / PoCs
- PoCs from Q3/2017
How we will be evaluating the applications
- Market potential
- Traction in your market(s) (a.k.a paying customers / strong interest from customers)
- Privacy compliance (which is a must)
- Company and team
- Uniqueness of the product
This is why you should apply
We offer potential collaboration for selected startups and would like to start a journey together around a particular business case leveraging specific telco data. The collaboration ideally develops to a joint product in our market. We commit to go at least up to a joint Proof of Concept project.
About the Partner Companies
Swisscom, Switzerland’s leading telecoms company and one of its leading IT companies, is headquartered in Ittigen, close to the capital city Berne. Swisscom’s international activities are concentrated mainly in Italy, where its subsidiary Fastweb is one of the biggest broadband providers. Around 21,500 employees achieve a revenues of CHF 2.89 billion to the end of the 1st Quarter 2016. Swisscom is one of the most sustainable companies in Switzerland and Europe.
Our 21,000 talented colleagues serve millions of customers every day in one of the world’s most connected regions. With a strong connectivity base, we’re the hub in the digital ecosystem, empowering people, companies and societies to stay in touch with everything that matters 24/7/365 - on their terms. Headquartered in Stockholm, the heart of innovation and technology, we’re set to change the industry and bring the world even closer for our customers.
Proximus (Euronext Brussels: PROX) is the leading provider of telephony, internet, television and network-based ICT services in Belgium. Through its Proximus and Scarlet brands, Proximus aims to deliver the best customer experience and to simplify the customer journey by offering accessible and easy-to-use solutions to the residential, enterprise and public markets. Proximus’ high-quality interconnected fixed and mobile networks offer access anywhere and anytime to digital services and data, as well as to a broad offering of multimedia content. Proximus is active in Luxembourg through its affiliates Telindus Luxembourg and Tango and in the Netherlands through Telindus Netherlands. Its subsidiary BICS offers best-in-class international wholesale solutions for voice and mobile data service providers worldwide. At the end of 2015, Proximus had around 14,000 employees and generated an underlying Group revenue of EUR 5,994 million.